Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Have you given up on New Year's Resolutions?

This is going to be a short but powerful post.  The topic is inspired by all the failed New Year's Resolutions, but really this is a year round post.  

I have trained martial arts for over 25 years.  I love it.  I have set and accomplished more martial arts goals than I can remember.  After all this time, it comes as naturally as breathing.  But a few years ago, I decided to get serious about weight training and I was fortunate to re-learn this valuable skill.

When I started weight training seriously, I went through the same process as anyone else.  The first few weeks were amazing.  Huge results, fast progress, totally motivating.  Eventually though, that wore off.  My progress slowed.  Little aches started to appear.  Not long after starting, I began to question the amount of time I was spending on it.  I work a lot of hours, so my free time is precious.  And I was using a lot of it lifting weights.  This is the stage where most people go off the rails.  I have before too.  

That's when I realized that I had a decision to make.  I didn't have enough time to be able to lift weights and have enough free time to watch tv or play around on the computer.  If I wanted to be able to do it long term, it needed to stop being something that took away FROM my free time.  I needed to make it what I do IN my free time.

These days, everyone is busy.  No one has enough time to do everything they want and/or should do.  If you truly want to accomplish your goals, make it what you want to do in your free time.  Your martial arts training is the same.  Once you begin to see your training as a drag that detracts from the fun things, you have started down the slippery slope of excuses and rationalization.  Think back to your first classes, or your first time sparring or training with weapons.  Those were things that you looked forward to doing IN your free time.  If you are serious about your goals, you can choose to have that back again.

-Ryan Johnson


JohnsonsATA1 on Twitter
Johnson's ATA and Gracie Sioux City on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment